When considering how I was going to approach the December 11 second club competition my initial thoughts were to use the assets I had created but not used for November’s. Upon downloading the audio file it became clear that this would not suffice: there is music in the audio file that places the actors in a club or party. So, it became apparent that I would have to create new assets.
The first thing I did was to recolour the Walter rig. As the audio comes from CW’s The Flash, a superhero television show, and features the Flash and Green Arrow I coloured the clothing of the two characters red and green to reflect this.
I made the seat by creating a cylinder, increasing the Subdivisions Axis to 48 and bisected it. I duplicated the remaining shape and scaled it down. I created a mia_material_x, which I named GreyPlastic. I set the colour to a very pale grey and applied a rock texture bump map in the Standard Bump field in the Bump attribute. This material was applied to the seat back.
I created a lambert which I renamed to SeatVelvetLambert. I set the colour to a dark red and created a ramp node. I set the ramp to go from a paler red to black and then applied the material to the seat. I combined the two meshes into one, deleted the history and saved.
In a new scene I began work on the table. I imported the ClubSeat file as a reference. I created a cylinder, scaled its height down and positioned it near to the seat. I changed the cylinders Subdivisions Axis to 48 to give a smooth circular shape. I selected the top and bottom edges of the cylinder and opened the Bevel Options window. I set the width to 1, segments to 3 and smoothing angles to 30°. I created a second cylinder, positioned it under the first and scaled it up on the X + Z axes. I scaled the cylinder down on the Y axis and positioned under the table top.
I selected the central edge and scaled it down to produce a curved surface then opened the Smooth Options window and set the division levels to 3. I scaled the cylinder on the X + Z axes to make it an appropriate size for a table leg. I selected the two objects and combined them into one mesh.
I applied the same material as the ClubSeat back. I opened the Outliner and removed the ClubSeat reference. The texture vanished from the table. I recreated the ClubSeat reference, opened the Hypershade and graphed the material network. I duplicated the network creating a replica of the material and unloaded the reference file in the Outliner. I then applied the material to the mesh. I deleted the history and saved the file.
I created a new file and created a reference of the Arrow rig. In the Side View I entered wireframe mode and selected Create > Measure Tools > Distance Tool. I placed a locators at the rig’s feet and head, selected the head locator and re-positioned it so that it was approximately 180 cm above the foot locator. I then scaled up the rig to the new height.
I created a reference of the ClubSeat and scaled it up so that the proportions were suitable for the Arrow rig. I created a reference of the table, scaled it up to an appropriate size and positioned it by the seat. I templated the chair and table a positioned the Arrow rig so he was seated. I realised that the chair was too large so I untemplated it, separated the meshes, scaled the seat down on the X + Z axes and increased the height of the seat back. Then I recombined the meshes. I then carried on positioning the rig.
I created a reference of the Flash rig, scaled it up to a similar height as the Arrow rig and positioned on the seat.
To make the brandy glasses I created a poly cylinder and reduced the Subdivisions Axis to 6 creating a hexagon. I created a second cylinder and increased the subdivisions to 24 to make a circle. Using the multi-cut tool I created an edge on the centre of both cylinders then, in Face mode, I deleted the top faces of the hexagon and the bottom of the circular. I snapped the circle to the hexagon and combined the meshes. In order to join up the vcertices I selected the top and bottom edges of the hexagonal shape and used the modelling toolkit’s Connect tool to create an edge in the centre of each face of the hexagon. I set the number of segments to 3 and pressed enter to finalise. I selected the central vertices and merged them.
I then deleted the top and bottom faces of the shape. In vertex mode I selected the two vertices adjacent to a corner vertex. I aligned the locator to the central vertex and scaled the adjacent vertices in to create a sharper corner. In face mode I paint selected (TAB key) all of the faces not connected to the sharper corner and deleted them. In object mode I duplicated the corner five times rotating each duplication by 60º. I selected all of the objects and combined them to produce the overall shape of the tumbler. In vertex mode I selected all of the vertices and merged them with a threshold of 0.01 to ensure that only those vertices virtually on top of each other were merged.
In edge mode I selected the bottom edge of the tumbler and used the Fill Hole tool to create a new face. I selected the new face and then the Extrude Face tool. I scaled the extrusion in a short way to create a new edge running around the bottom of the glass. I repeated the process, this time scaling in about halfway across the face’s surface. I then merged the new faces to the centre. Using the multicut I created a new edge running around the bottom of the tumbler. This addition of new edges was to ensure a sharper corner on the bottom of the tumbler.
I selected the top edge and extruded it in slightly. I selected the new edge and extruded it down into the glass. I scaled the edge in so that it was not protruding through the outer face of the tumbler. Then I used the Fill Hole tool to create a new face. I then repeated the procedure of adding new edges near the corner edge to ensure a sharp corner.